Sunday, November 17, 2013

JFK's ASSASSINATION from my journals

Page 145 - 149 from my journals (These posts were from what I wrote back then- 50 years ago.  Much has changed, not only the world but many of my ideas)

Friday, November 22nd - six days before Thanksgiving, 1963. Today started out like any other day, which sounds like a cliche but how else can it be said? Today I felt quite happy and I talked to MK on the phone. Then I had lunch, cleaned up and turned on my favorite show GIRL TALK. About halfway through the show an NBC news bulletin came on saying that President Kennedy and Texas Governor Connolly had been shot in Dallas. My first reaction was, "Oh God, I don't believe it." Then the bulletin was repeated and I opened my mouth and frantically dialed mother on the phone. I couldn't get a dial tone and I thought what a dumb time for the phone to go on the blink. I rushed outside to find a neighbor's phone to report the phone trouble and saw the mailman. I told him and he was quite shocked. I had the need to talk to another adult. I ran back in the house, picked up the phone and got a dial tone so I called the repair dept. They said the trouble was because everyone was calling everyone else because the President had been shot. Then mother called and we didn't say very much. I called my mother in law who was without a radio or TV. Then MK called but we just couldn't say much of anything because the shock was too great. Now I know what it feels like to be speechless.
Not too long after that was the announcement that President Kennedy was dead. It was just unbelievable. I cried and called my mother in law. Then I wept and wept not because I think death is so terrible but for Jackie, the children and the family. My faith actually wavered and I wasn't quite sure how to pray. Imagine being so much a part of history! Kennedy is the third President to be assassinated since Lincoln. Wm McKinley was shot in 1901 and James Garfield in 1881.
Shock produces strange reactions. My first reaction was to run away. Where? Who knows. Then I wanted to go out and buy a pack of cigarettes. I thought, "what the hell." Then I wanted to eat. I guess these are just human reactions. I didn't do any of those things and I also thought of having a couple of stiff drinks. Oh brother!
A prime suspect has been picked up for suspicion of killing President Kennedy. His is Lee Harvey Oswald who gave up his U.S. citizenship to go to Russia. They say he was disillusioned and applied for a passport back to the U.S. with his Russian wife. They have a little son. He considers himself a Marxist and not a communist. He was arrested in New Orleans for passing out pro Castro leaflets. Who knows why this happened? Did Russia have a hand in this or Cuba or Communist's or Right wingers or was he just a poor confused person?
The time is 7:40 pm and NBC news is having a special program showing Kennedy's famous speeches from his inauguration, Cuba blockade, and his integration speech. I just cannot believe such a vital man is dead. Oh why am I saying this? He is alive but not on this plane. I hope he is OK where he is for he is a good man.
I didn't say anything to Edward (our 4 year old son) about the President's death because I did not think it was necessary but Edward told Bernie that someone shot President Kennedy and they didn't know who did it. I don't know exactly what to think about this. Of course Edward did hear this because I had the TV on all day since Kennedy was shot but I don't think Edward knows what shot means. I also do not think it is necessary to go into all this. Should I say anything about this or wait for questions?
At a time like this what does religion matter? Most of us were shocked and felt pain at the death of the President and a majority of us cried. Another indication and proof that we are all alike even thought our thoughts are somewhat different.
On NBC at 11:25pm Chet Huntley said that ??? saw Jackie Kennedy kiss her dead husband on the lips and take her ring off her finger and put it on his. What a poignant story! Somehow I have the feeling that Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy is going to become famous in her own right, who knows how?
To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment