Friday, May 23, 2014

How far we've come

Today I was sitting in a restaurant when a dear online friend who lives in Sweden sent me a private message on Facebook.  I texted her back and she answered almost immediately.  I know people complain about interruptions with cell phones and texting but I find it amazing.  Why?

Do you remember those days when we couldn't even dial a phone number and we had to tell the operator what number we wanted?
We would pick up the phone and the operator would say, "Number Please" and we'd tell her who we wanted to call.  We also had party lines. We'd pick up the phone to call a friend and we'd hear two people talking on our line.  Sometimes it would take an hour or more to be able to make our call. 


Then came the rotary phones. Do you remember them?  I have had bad dreams of the dials falling off, or the dial sticking.

How many times have we sat beside our phone waiting for someone to call, either for results from a medical test, or a boyfriend to call, or to hear if we were going to be hired for the job we wanted?  Business people were stuck in their offices waiting as were most of us.

Now we are free.  We have cell phones and yes sometimes it is annoying to overhear others conversations and of course the phones should be turned off in church, movies, concerts and other times. But on the whole look how cell phones have allowed people to get out and do things while they wait? If a person is nervous about a pending medical result they don't have to sit by the phone waiting, they can go shopping, visit a friend or do something to help them take their minds off the worrying.

Now we have almost instant communication with Facebook, Twitter and the like.  Sure, it can become too much but that's not what I'm writing about.  I'm focusing on the Miracle of instant communication and Freedom we have now to get our messages on the go instead of being stuck.  Another wonderful thought is that private messaging on FB is FREE.   I have no idea how much it would cost me to call my friend in Sweden or text her but I'm so glad to be able to communicate with her. 





For those of you who never had to sit by a phone and wait, you may not appreciate how miraculous all this is to me.  Yes, we need to disconnect sometimes, get into nature and all of that but we can keep our cell phones in our pockets and enjoy nature too while waiting for an important call.

Love from Jean, an older lady who loves technology

6 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you for this perspective! I am so glad that due to technology... I have friends all over the world that I can connect with any day I want!!! Love this and love you lil sadgie rising :) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimi for reading my blog and for commenting. It is wonderful to have friends all over the world isn't it! I am so amazed each time I chat with my friend in Sweden and it's instant! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jean Maurie,

    I have enjoyed your posts on the Wenonah facebook page, but just learned about your blogs because you commented on Lauren Ward Larsen's blog.

    Another miracle of modern communication is that people can leave you a voicemail or an email and you can pick it up later. Remember the frustration of either getting a busy signal or no answer at all?

    Now we can turn off the phone or computer and people can still leave us a message - even a photo or a video and we can read or listen to it and savor it and reply with measured thoughts, not having to have an off the cuff comeback.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories with your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      I'm glad you enjoyed my posts on the Wenonah Facebook page. Yes I've been writing in a journal for many years. I have 15 filled notebooks and a box of letters that my husband and I wrote to each other before we were married. I would like to do something with them too but not sure what. I don't feel like blogging them.

      Yes I sure do appreciate voice mail and emails too. There is a lot of freedom with the ability to be able to be out and about, not waiting for phone calls. We have sacrificed freedom in other ways but that's not what this blog is about.

      Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. You've journaled for 50 years? Wow, how neat.

    I sometimes have wondered how we think of technology/communications now vs. decades ago. I don't like how "instant" society is now-- people want an instant reply to phone calls, texts, e-mail, and everything. But, I also don't miss sitting by the phone with no caller ID in the 1990s waiting for a friend/boyfriend to call either. I like the tech we have now, but don't like how it follows us around and how addicted people are to it. It's hard to go to a restaurant with friends who don't text/FB/something while at the restaurant. I don't think the problem is technology, but our use of/addiction to it. Were people more balanced 50 years ago and less dependent on/addicted to phones/technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like instant actually. I am a bit addicted to Facebook and reading what my friends are doing. I love all the positive posts on the angel group pages I belong to. I can turn the computer off whenever I want and take a break which I do. I don't like overhearing cell phone conversations though. They can be too personal.

      I am very glad that it isn't 50 years ago. I like that women have more freedom, I like that we can wear jeans now instead of how properly older women had to dress back then. I love the technology. In fact I could never have told anyone what I wanted to be when I grew up because it hadn't been invented yet. But I do understand your perspective. Each of us sees all this in our own way.

      Thank you for reading and commenting :)

      Delete